You might have already heard about financial adviser or financial planner, but do you really know how they can help you? An expat financial advice is given by professionals who can help you manage your money as well as your financial goals. But remember that your friend’s financial planning might not work with your situation, your goals, and your budget.
What You Need To Know About Financial Advisors
A financial advisor can be a real person or a robo-advisor or digital services. This can include financial partners who have the qualification required for the job. Any type of financial advisor would be able to help you manage your money in different ways. When choosing one, here are your choices:
- Robo-Advisor. This is a digital service who offers a simple, low-cost way for you to invest. You will need to answer specific questions online then the computer algorithms would be able to build a portfolio for you depending on your goals and your risk tolerance. Robo-advisors usually have planning tools for you that will be balanced with your investment mix on a regular basis.
- Financial Advisor. This is quite a broad term when it comes to the financial services industry. It covers different specialists which include the following:
- Chartered Financial Analyst. Their specialization is to help you build an investment portfolio.
- Enrolled Agent. They are more focused on tax preparation.
- Financial Planner. This certified financial planner can provide you with financial planning advice. The advisor should complete a certain education required, pass a test, and also have enough work experience.
- Investment Advisor. They provide clients with advice and recommendations. Some of them focus on investment portfolios while others take a holistic financial planning approach.
- Stockbroker or Broker. This professional is buying and selling financial products on behalf of their clients. They should pass the exams and register with the United States Securities and Exchange Commission.
- Wealth Managers. These professionals are usually catering to high net worth clients where they can provide holistic financial management.
What To Look For In A Financial Advisor
Choosing the right financial advisor is very important. Remember that they will be handling and assisting you with your money, so they should be someone who is qualified for the job. But before you make your choice, you first have to figure out what kind of services do you want. If say you need someone to help you choose and manage investments, a robo-advisor is your cost-efficient choice, especially if you are just starting out.
But if you have a more complicated financial situation, you need a more holistic approach and that can be given to you by a human financial advisor. You also have to consider the cost level that would fit your budget. Take note that robo-advisors are cheaper, but they have limited capabilities. You also have to check the advisor’s qualifications and standards. If you want to succeed, especially in your investments, you need someone who has the education and the experience in financing.
Protect Your Finances, Hire An Expat Financial Advisor!
Money is not easy to earn and save. This is why you have to be wise in spending it when you want to invest, especially if you are residing abroad at least semi-permanently. Your financial advisor from your old nation might not be able to help you with that. You need someone locally who understands your unique expat situation and how it affects your taxes and finances.